I was only...ooh, year 2 when it happened? Yet I remember the afternoon I came home from school perfectly. I live in a not very happening village but that day everybody was out, looking weird, shouting to each other about the news. It was scary. And when I got home it was no different. My parents and my older brother all crowded around the television, looking serious. I didn't really understand but it still had an impact on me. Of course, like a lot of other people around the world, today I watched a documentary about the tragedy. It was called something like 9/11: After the towers fell, which as you may have guessed, was about what happened after the towers had collapsed. Of course it was sad but I couldn't begin to imagine how the people in NY that day must have felt, watching the disaster unfold, let alone the horror of the people within both towers. There was one case on the documentary which really got me though. People who know me will know that I'm not a very emotional girl. Y'know I don't cry when I watch movies or anything like that usually but tonight, I dunno, I just cried like a baby :/
The story which really got me was of this guy..I can't remember his name but he was a fireman in the FDNY and so was his older brother and his dad. There was quite a long bit about them but the nub and gist of their tale was that the older brother was missing in the debris of one of the towers and the younger brother and his dad kept searching for him for days after the tragedy. Time went by and they still couldn't find him so they had to accept that he was dead. They wouldn't find him alive. But they would find him. They were determined to. The brother was being interviewed on the programmed and he just said that he was determined to bring his brother home. Exactly three months after the attacks on December 11th they found his body buried under the debris. And the brother just said that it sadly, was the happiest day of his life and probably the happiest he would ever feel in his life. Being able to find his brother and know what had happened to him and to give him a proper burial. It was heart breaking.
So today, it just made me think how thankful I should be about life y'know? I know it's depressing but it's what happens in life sadly.
So I just wanted to say:
Respect and peace to the victims of 9/11 and their families.
I lit a candle in memory. I felt pretty helpless actually. I couldn't really do anything to make a difference.
Two songs which pretty much sum today would be Mad World by Gary Jules (yes I know it's not originally his song) and Hole in the World by The Eagles. And times like these R.E.M's always got some meaningful lyrics too.
These are both great songs. And they're all great bands and artists. I myself particularly like R.E.M and the lyrics. The Eagles are my dad's favourite bands (I know, sounds naff) but I've grown up with them and they're songs are really great. Their Hole in the World song is actually a tribute song to 9/11. So I would give it a listen. It's amazing. And really touching.
Mad World also sums up the world in a nutshell. It really is a mad world. I'm going to leave you with a lyric for thought:
There's a hole in the world tonight.
There's a Cloud of fear and sorrow.
There's a hole in the world tonight.
Don't let there be a hole in the world tomorrow.
Simple but meaningful.
P.S. Sorry about the depressing post but it needed to be done. Promise that the next one will be back to the norm >.<
No comments:
Post a Comment